In today’s reality, creative agencies can do much more than advertising. Some agencies have already understood this potential, and use their creative assets to generate new business by creating innovative products or services for their clients.
These ideas are born from the brand idea/message, thereby translating the brand narrative into business opportunities. Some agencies even use their product innovation capabilities for gaining new business and clients.
Mindscapes methodology and thinking tools are geared to create a culture of innovation within an agency, and supply a practical and highly applicable set of tools to enable the agency to incorporate product innovation as part of their advertising and communications offerings for clients.
Surprising as it may sound; nearly 70% of the most innovative ideas of new products/services are based on recurring patterns of thinking. Patterns, which help break existing common molds to originate groundbreaking innovative thinking.
Some patterns suggest a specific disruptive technique for looking at an existing ‘system’ and then deconstructing it in order to create a new idea. Some suggest how to develop new systems altogether while breaking mental fixedness, conventions and habitual thinking.
This workshop is designed to supply agency professionals with unique thinking tools based on these patterns to enhance their creative thinking potential when providing innovative solutions beyond advertising. All within an efficient thinking process, which helps reveal new forms, functions and possibilities which the mind frequently oversees.
The result: providing clients with opportunities to enhance their revenue in innovative ways, while delivering the brand idea in a creative manner.
- Enlarging the scope of creative outcome and creative services provided by the agency by incorporating product innovation as part of the strategic and creative offering of the agency
- Incorporating a structured method of providing new solutions and new business opportunities to current or new clients,
- Incorporating a method for identifying and exploiting opportunities for expanding current business, or for winning new business for the agency
- Understanding the principals of inventive thinking
- Understanding new ways of looking at given systems, their components, resources and variables. Then utilizing them in creative formats.
- Understanding the “Function Follows Form” process in innovation: breaking out from the dependency on consumers and technology as the sole sources of innovation.
- Learning practical methods for developing new relevant, attractive, innovative products/services
- Practicing and implement the thinking tools on real agency / company briefs, challenges and projects.
- Reassuring practical implementation of the tools learnt in daily work.
- How to disrupt functional fixedness by breaking a system into resources using them in an unexpected manner
- How to ‘steal’ functions from existing resources while making life easier for consumers
- How to disrupt functional fixedness by breaking a system into components and imagining the creative potential of using components in an alternative system
- How to disrupt structural fixedness by creating a new connection between variables of a system which were not connected before
- How to innovate by removing rather than adding
- How to use problems and embrace them as opportunities rather than fearing them as threats
- How to translate storytelling into “storyteching” which delivers real value to consumers
- How to combine fun & functionality in a smart efficient manner
- How to implement an inventive thinking culture which relates to the client’s
business environment, not just their communications environment
2 days, each day incorporating 2-3 thinking tools.
Anywhere you choose, as long as it is away from boardrooms and offices.
Apart from the main presentation space, solutions for practices in sub groups and for
breaks must be available.
25 participants from all relevant disciplines in the agency: creatives, planners, accounts,digital, media etc.
A joint client-agency training can also be generated, providing a common language and a well-defined method for collaborative thinking on new business opportunities.
The program is run in an interactive workshop format. The tools are presented and learned through inspiring cases and examples, practices for individuals/pairs/small teams, various creation and ideation exercises. The style is open and dynamic.
Each participant receives an access to the online Mindscapes tools app:
(http://www.themindscapes.com/tools/tools-demo/ ) with free admission to all the tools presented during the training sessions. The application includes the logic/rational behind each thinking tool, a step-by-step thinking procedure, examples of case studies exemplifying each pattern and tips for applying each tool.
Preparations for the training program
In each training all the tools presented are implemented by participants on real actual challenges facing the agency’s clients. Thus, every training program is crafted and tailormade to answer specific needs and areas of expertise. Before the training, we ask the agency to send us several briefs, which are currently being worked on, together with several examples of innovative products/services/thinking in general implemented by clients. This helps us become familiar with what is required for an optimal training. It serves us as a guide when selecting the most suitable thinking tools and preparing the most effective practice sessions for the training. The cost of the training includes all the preparation days we implement before the training.
Suggested time table
09:30-11:15 morning session
11:15-11:30 coffee break
15:45-16:00 coffee break
16:00-17:30 final session
Proposed structure of learning sessions during the day
- Exploration: of a pattern and then a tool using a variety of cases and examples
- Practice: applying the tool in small teams on a specific task
- Presentation: of ideas created by the teams + feedback from the moderator and participants
Note: this outline may be modified in different ways according to variables of the workshop
such as pace, energy, complexity of the specific challenges / briefs etc.