APreCoM which stands for , The Association of Public Relations and Communications Management Firms (APReCoM) is a Chapter of the Public Relations Society of Kenya (PRSK) for Kenyan consultancy firms engaged in the practice of Public Relations and Communications. Registered in 2012 under the Society’s act, APReCoM is mandated to drive the advancement of the profession in Kenya and to nurturing the goals of its members
In an effort to further it’s mandate, ApreCoM has launched the Fast Track Program . This is an initiative done in partnership with ISA ( International School of Advertising), aimed at providing university graduates with a passion for communication and building brands a great opportunity to build a profession in Public Relations and Communications. Through an industry developed and led program, successful participants of this program will also get mentorship job opportunities in APreCoM member agencies.
The purpose of the APReCoM Fast Track Program is to on-board entry level individuals and those who are still relatively new in their role; giving them a sound personal and professional grounding.
The first grounding is in aligning behavior, attitude and basic skills to what is expected as a young professional. The second grounding is in the understanding of PR and communications, priming them into their roles with a foundational understanding in order to effectively play their role fit in the workplace.
- To develop the personal skills they need, to integrate into the work-place and role they will play
- To give them a top-line understanding of PR and communications
- Enable them to have an informed view of the specialization/ department they can best fit into
- To cut- down their learning curve and make them useful to the organization within a shorter time
Who is it for
We are looking to promote diversity and will not only take students from a communications/ PR field of study. We will take those from relevant fields but also anyone who demonstrates a true passion for communication and the world of building brands. They should possess the following skills;
- Creative Thinker
- Analytical skills
- Decisiveness (leadership)
- Good organizational skills and attentive to detail
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good written and verbal communication skill
This will be a uniquely interactive workshop style training, consisting of short lectures, practical group work and discussions. It will also include the opportunity to work in organisations where they get to master their skills in a practical contest. Finally it will entail guest speakers who will take participants through their own personal experiences of how they made it to where they are.
They will also join a mentorship program where they get mentored by the CEO of the organization they work for.
Areas of Focus
The program is designed to reflect the role that entry level students from the program will play. This includes;
- Client Account Management
- Strategic Communications
- Content development (offline and online)
- Event coordination
|Personal Skills Development|
|2||Principles of Account Handling|
|3||Business Communication and Etiquette|
|Research and Strategic Communications|
|6||PR - An Overview of PR and Strategic Role in Business|
|7||Understanding Business Context and Target Audience/ Stakeholders|
|8||PR/ Communication Audit and Insight Generation|
|9||Objective Setting, Message Design and Resource Allocation|
|11||Communication Tactics/ Implementation|
|12||Budgeting, Impact Measurement and Resource ROI|
|13||Writing for Print Media|
|14||On-line Reputation Management|
|15||Strategic Event Planning|
|16||Understanding Photography and Videography|
The APReCoM Fast Track Program is delivered by:
- Experienced academics who have made a significant contribution to the pool of knowledge of Public Relations and Communication in including the chaiman of APreCoM, Lawrence Gikaru, former PRSK Chair, Maragate Maranga , Okoth Obado and other seasoned practitioners in the field.
- Guest speakers: Business leaders and accomplished professionals in the field of PR and Communication
Contact hours : 32 hours
Group Work : 20 hours
Working hours : 60 hours
Study hours : 10 hours
Teaching Pattern : Lectures + videos + case studies + group work presentations